Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Introduction to Politics

Earlier this semester Prof. Leone suggested we use the blogging assignment to discuss our own political socialization. Subsequently I would like to take this opportunity to look at my own first political memories.

My first introduction to the world of politics came from my parents. I remember watching political satire programs such as Royal Canadian Air Farce and This Hour Has 22 Minutes with them as a child and learning about some of the various players and positions in the Canadian political system (though in only a humorous fashion). My first introduction to an actual political issue however, came from the actions of the Harris government in Ontario which lead to a province-wide teachers’ strike while I was in elementary school. This presented the first instance in which I felt directly affected by political action, and through my parents I became aware of how and why it had taken place.

At this point I was yet to formulate any of my own opinions on the political system though. I recall this first occurring when the same sex marriage debate started to gain national attention. I remember thinking it was absurd to deny any individual such a basic human right, and saw little difference between that and racial or ethnic discrimination. This issue has continued to impact my political beliefs even today as I remain unwilling to ever vote for a party which opposes extending this right to gay and lesbian couples.

Finally, I decided that I wished to pursue post-secondary studies and ultimately a career in politics because of my father. Having been very involved in the South African anti-apartheid movement in the early 1990’s, he taught me about the value of political discourse and political leaders such as Nelson Mandela and Bishop Desmond Tutu. It is because of the success they achieved that I have faith in politics and believe that no matter how frustrating it may be, it is ultimately the gateway to change in society.  

No comments:

Post a Comment