Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Political Spectrum: Where I Fall

Recently I took an online political questionnaire in order to see where I fall on the political spectrum. I have taken one such quiz before, but not since I was in high school, and was surprised to discover that I remain in roughly the same position I did then. After answering the fifty or so questions that composed the quiz, I was ultimately placed within the Libertarian Left (the lower left quadrant), falling in the same general area as Gandhi. In my opinion this may be a slight exaggeration of my political views as I tend to consider myself slightly more centrist, but overall it is a reasonable evaluation.

As depicted by my placement on the spectrum, I tend to value strong social policy in conjecture with a relatively free market (however not completely unregulated). I find that the quiz I took likely provides a more accurate representation of economic interests (represented on the vertical axis), as the social questions to tend to be polarizing. For example, statements such as “I believe my own race to have superior qualities” will likely result in strong responses (whether in the negative or the affirmative). Questions about the amount that the government should intervene in the actions of multilateral corporations however may not result in such extreme responses. Thus I found the vertical axis to be more precise.

Ultimately taking such a quiz is of little value to me, but it may be useful for someone who is less politically informed in understanding their beliefs and what they mean. If you would like to take the political spectrum quiz that I took check out the link below and let me know how you found it.

http://politicalcompass.org/index

2 comments:

  1. I agree - I don't think these quizzes truly give an accurate representation of where the average person falls in the political spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ I agree with Jamie.

    As a political science student I prefer to self-analyze and place myself wherever I deem convenient lol. But at the same time, these quizzes can be fun but you have to take them with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete